ICTP-SAIFR Workshop on Mathematical Physics
August 10-13, 2018 - São Paulo, Brazil - IFT-UNESP
The Workshop will focus on different aspects and applications of vertex algebras and infinite dimensional Lie algebras to representation theory and conformal field theory. The International Congress of Mathematicians, which will be held in Rio de Janeiro from August 1-9, 2018, will preceed this event. There is no registration fee.
After so many months of work and expectation, the year of the Congress has finally arrived! Preparations are well under way: the bulk of the scientific program has been defined, the proceedings are being finalized (the papers by plenary and invited speakers will be distributed to all the participants at the Congress), travel grants have been awarded to participants from the developing world, communications and posters are being selected as I write, and registration of participants is also taking place right now.
Keep in mind that the deadline for early advance registration, with reduced registration fee, is April 27.
Much of our effort over the last couple of years have been geared towards advertising the Congress, domestically and abroad, as we take the occasion as a historic opportunity to popularize mathematics in our society and, especially, amongst the Brazilian youth. The Biennium of Mathematics 2017-2018, formally proclaimed by the Brazilian national parliament, encompasses a wide range of outreach initiatives throughout the country, and raised the profile of mathematics in mainstream media to totally unprecedented levels.
Thus after hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals, and the 2016 Olympic Summer Games, Rio de Janeiro is now equally proud to receive the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians. A welcome video has been produced and posted at the ICM 2018 official YouTube channel that provides a glimpse at the ICM in the Wonderfull City will be. While much remains ahead of us, I assure you that the Organizing Committee is doing its very best to ensure that the first ICM ever held in the Southern Hemisphere will be a truly memorable event. Come and check!
See you in Rio!
- Vyacheslav Futorny (USP, Brazil)
- Reimundo Heluani (IMPA, Brazil)
- Marco Aldi (Virginia Commonwealth University, USA)
- Nicolás Andruskwiewitch* (FaMAF-Córdoba, Argentina)
- Tomoyuki Arakawa (Rims-Kyoto, Japan)
- Wolfgang Bock (TU Kaiserlautern, Germany)
- Dmitry Gurevich (University of Valenciennes, France)
- Fedor Malikov* (University of Southern California, USA)
- Anne Moreau (University of Lille, France)
- Andrei Okounkov (Columbia University, USA)
- Vera Serganova (University of California-Berkeley, USA)
- Joshua Sussan (City University of New York, USA)
- Mathew Szczesny (Boston University, USA)
- Jethro van Ekeren (Universidade Federal Fluminense, Brazil)
- Hiroyuki Yamane (University of Toyama, Japan)
*to be confirmed
- Application deadline: June 8, 2018
- More information: http://www.ictp-saifr.org/mathphys18